We celebrated Christmas a little early this year so that we could still do all of our favorite traditions. It started with a new tradition, eating breakfast at a restaurant! Our kids are seriously deprived in the eating out department. It was a treat for them to get to order whatever they want from the menu. After breakfast we headed to one of our favorite places.... Historic Kirtland.
We love to go and see the nativity exhibit each Christmas Eve. It helps us remember the true meaning of Christmas. This year all of the kids were really into it. They loved counting all of the baby Jesus' and playing the I Spy game the Sisters gave them.The best part is dressing up in their costumes. Graham made an awesome wise man!
This is our first (and final) attempt to have Peter play the role of Baby Jesus. As you can see, he didn't enjoy it very much.
He liked being a wise man much more (the camera adds about 20 pounds)...
Lincoln loves to be the shepherd. Complete with all of his animal friends.
Jayne could have sat with this baby Jesus all day. She really wanted to take him home with us.
After spending loads of time as a family relaxing and playing games together, Jayne and I made our traditional Christmas Eve dinner. A "poor man's supper". It consists of soup (broth, leeks and potatoes) and rustic bread. It helps us remember how lucky we are to have such good food each day. This year I realized that it is probably similar to something that Jesus would have eaten in His time. It was a humbling experience for me.
We acted out the nativity while Daddy read the story. We read from the book "When Joseph Went to Bethlehem". Peter really wanted to hold baby Jesus this time. I think he is Joseph in this enactment.
Grace took her role as Mary very seriously.
The boys love to wear their headpieces that Aunt Valerie gave them. She brought them back from her trip abroad to Jerusalem a few years ago.
After the nativity we opened up our new pajamas! (Two kids are missing from the picture because they are off pouting. I forget why.)
We started a new tradition of inviting friends over to sing carols! Jeremy was in heaven. It's something his family would do each year and he felt right at home. Our house is a little tiny for so many people (I think there were over 30 people there) but it was nice to be surrounded by friends that are more like family this time of year!
1 comment:
I am so envious of your Christmas' every year. I love that you and Jeremy get to do exactly what you want to do as a family and decide what you get to have as traditions. I know that flip side to that is that you don't get to be/see family. But every year I want more than anything to do our own thing. To do Christmas at our own house. Do our own Christmas eve ect. Not be guilted into going to the inlaws. I love how special you make it for your kids.
Post a Comment